Okay, we’ve got a daily hymnody plan available, an order for using the Occasional Prayers, and some advice on the use of Canticles so far. Let’s put it all together and see what Morning Prayer can be like. Listen and pray along!
Order of service (so you can get your books ready)…
- Opening Sentence (BCP 11)
- Morning Hymn (#229) *
- Invitatory with the Venite (BCP 13-14)
- Psalms 79, 80, 81 (BCP 373-377)
- 1 Samuel 7
- Canticle 8 Ecce Deus (BCP 85-86)
- 1 Corinthians 15:1-34
- The Benedictus (BCP 18-19)
- The Apostles’ Creed (BCP 20)
- The Prayers (BCP 21-24)
- The Anthem (Hymn #439)
- Occasional Prayers #25, 35-37
- The General Thanksgiving (BCP 25) **
- Closing Sentences (BCP 26)
* The first rubric on page 31 allows for the Confession and the Creed to to be omitted in one Office provided it is said in the other that day. On my own I tend to say the Creed in the morning and the Confession in the evening.
** I tend not to pray the Prayer of St. John Chrysostom when alone, as the rubric on page 25 indicates it’s optional, and because its language of being gathered for corporate prayer is not exactly fulfilled in private.